In Excel, comment in a cell is used to give more information about the cell’s value to a reader. After adding the comment, a red indicator appears in the cell and when you rest the pointer on the cell, the comment appears.
Add a comment
To insert a comment, follow the following steps:
1- Select a cell where you want to add a comment and do the following:
- Press Shift + F2.
- Go to the Review tab, in the Comments section, click New Comment.
- Right click on the cell, click on the Insert Comment.
(To change the default name in the comment box, see below, later in this article.)
2- Type the comment in the box.
3- Click outside the comment box.
(After clicking outside, the comment box will disappear but an indicator on the cell remains. To read the comment, hover over the cell with comment indicator.)
Changing user name in the comment box
This option is used to specify the person who is adding or editing the comment, for this, these steps should follow:
1- Open the File tab and click Options.
2- Change the user name in personalized section and click Ok.
Edit a Comment
Edit option of the comment is used to change the values in the comment box which has previously been written. Following steps are required to do the task:
1- Select the cell where you want to change the comment and do the following:
- Press Shift + F2.
- Right Click on the cell and select the Edit Comment
- Go to the Review tab, in the Comment option, click on the Edit Comment
2- Edit the comment and click outside the comment box.
Show/ Hide a Comment
By default, a comment is only visible, after hover over the cell however you can also make the comment visible all the time, by following: Right Click on the cell and select the
- Right Click on the cell and select the Show/Hide Comments.
- Go to the Review tab, in the Comment option, click on the Show/Hide Comment.
Delete a Comment
Select the cell, from where you want to delete the comment and do the following:
- Right Click on the cell and select the Delete Comment.
- Go to the Review tab, in the Comment option, click Delete.